Staying on top of your field means staying ahead of the biggest news stories. That’s why each week we bring you The Weekly Independent, a quick-hit digest of news of note from around the web.
- President Trump has an important opportunity to leverage the independent workforce to foster economic growth, innovation, and bolster national security. MBO CEO Gene Zaino details how in The Hill.
- Subject matter expertise is important, but so are soft skills. Here are simple tips to improve yours.
- Goodbye, FMS. You were barely here, and now you’re gone. Andrew Karpie details why Freelancer Management Systems are no longer the preferred model of businesses engaging independent talent.
- Almost half of the Canadian workforce will be on-demand or freelance by 2020, a new study by Intuit Canada finds.
- These five life hacks will save you 10 hours a week. Extra time—it’s the gift that keeps on giving.
- Can you afford to quit your day job? An accountant explains how to financially prep for self-employment.
- New research from the American Action Forum showcases trends in the independent workforce. We commend AAF for suggesting that further research is needed on this subject at both at the state and federal levels.
- How much should you, as an IC, bend to your client’s culture? Fast Company explains when (and when not) to bend.
- These five tips make you more productive when working alone.
- Uber Technologies Inc. is asking a California judge to grant a stamp of approval on what it says is the first decision by an arbitrator denying a driver’s bid to be treated as an employee instead of as an independent contractor.
- A rise in the number of self-employed individuals is boosting Solo 401(k) and SEP IRA usage, Employee Benefit News reports.
- Recruiter.com cites MBO Partners in their latest editorial on the future of the online platform economy.
- Self-employed workers earn more money, work less, and are happier, new UK research finds.
Should you have any questions, we’re always here for you.